Indecision about Choosing a Career
Those who live with career indecision are overwhelmed by the enormity of selecting a life path. They may make frequent career changes because they are unhappy in their present job. Often stress, frustration, fear, and anxiety are part of career indecision.
What is Career Indecision?
Career indecision is characterized by an inability to specify an educational or occupational choice.
It may include an inability to focus, acquire, or process career information.
How Do You Know You Need Help?
- Are you depressed about a career choice or about inability to select a career?
- Do you have difficulty making decisions about career choices?
- Are you overwhelmed by the range of career choices?
- Do you feel anxiety, stress, or worry about career choices?
- Are career decisions causing disrupted sleep?
- Do you have feelings of low self-worth?
- Do you lack self-confidence about career decisions?
- Are you unable to articulate career aspirations?
Those who have difficulty making a career choice are often overwhelmed about the many options available. They may also be depressed because the grades or prerequisites are not attainable.
They could be feeling internal pressure to achieve. Family members may wish them to pursue a career path they do not want to follow.
Not living up to the expectations of parents, mentors, or colleagues often makes individuals have negative feelings about themselves.
Retired four-star general, Colin Powell, advocates the 70-40 rule for making decisions:
Make sure you have 70 percent of the information you need to make the decision. Use the other 40 to keep an open mind.
If you are undecided about your education, occupation, or career path, counseling may help.
I Can Help!
With both experience in career counselling, I will help you:
• Treat your career decision as a process.
• Take stock of what you value.
• Start identifying and investigating your career decisions.
• Set aside time to think. Weigh your options.
• Look at your options from different perspectives
• Create and evaluate your career plan.
Contact me for more information on a free self discovery workbook or to book a free discovery session.
Love Yourself and Others
Learn from Life’s Experiences by Rewiring Your Thought Patterns
Live Your Best Life Purposefully
Join our free, exclusive support group now and get instant access to all our
transformational resources to support the inner work you are about embark on.